In addition to being a hub of entertainment with a rich music history, Memphis boasts some of the best restaurants in the nation, not to mention funky boutique shops located in the downtown area. You can absorb the culture of Memphis by visiting museums, taking in live concerts and dining at five-star or family-owned restaurants. Needless to say, there is a plethora of sights, sounds and tastes to experience in Memphis. If you’re looking for things to do in Memphis, check out these ideas!
Popular Memphis attractions
- Graceland, one of the most popular Memphis tourist attractions, was the longtime home of rock ‘n’ roll superstar Elvis Presley. Elvis fans won’t want to miss the opportunity to tour the entire estate—including The King’s automobile museum and sprawling mansion tour—and get a peek at Elvis’ luxury custom jets.
- Known as the boulevard of the blues, Beale Street is home to the New Daisy Theatre (an all-ages, family-friendly concert venue), the Memphis Rock ‘N’ Soul Museum, B.B. King’s, the Hard Rock Cafe, the Memphis Music Record Shop and much more.
- The National Civil Rights Museum is located at the Lorraine Motel, the site at which Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in 1968. This must-see piece of American history is a phenomenal place to learn more about the key leaders of and contributors to the civil rights movement of the 1960s.
- Located in the Beaux Arts Building, which was built in 1916 and is the oldest and largest art museum in Tennessee, the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art boasts pieces from the Italian Renaissance along with photographs and textile art. The museum also offers ongoing art programs for Memphis residents.
- The Stax Museum of American Soul is chock-full of powerful musical antiquity. View Ike Turner’s Fender Guitar and Isaac Hayes’ famous Cadillac while learning the detailed history of soul music.
- Famed for being the birthplace of rock ‘n’ rock, Sun Studio is where Elvis, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis first recorded their legendary music. You can even create your own track to enjoy for years to come.
- Did you know the twice-daily Peabody Ducks parade takes place at the luxury Peabody Hotel, a member of the Historic Hotels of America? This is a great attraction for kids, although we’re willing to bet that the whole family will enjoy watching the ducks march over the red carpet to play in the fountain.
Whether you’re a new resident of Memphis or you’re here on vacation, you will never be at a loss for things to do in this wonderful city. Its family-friendly environment and culture-rich vibe will captivate your senses and feed your soul.
For more Memphis travel tips, visit Memphis Travel!
Looking for more stories on what makes Memphis great?
Follow our Instagram page below!
View this post on Instagram