India is a country with a rich cultural history, and Memphians will soon have the chance to celebrate this at the 16th annual India Fest on Nov. 3.
India’s history and culture are as diverse as the country is vast. Indeed, India was the birthplace of both Buddhism and Hinduism—the third and fourth most popular religions in the world—and it is one of the most linguistically diverse countries on the planet, with 22 major languages and more than 720 dialects spoken there. India is also the home of vibrant textiles, delicious foods and colorful films enjoyed around the world. So, what’s not to love? Come down to India Fest in Memphis to get a taste of Indian culture for yourself.
The history of India Fest
India Fest was founded to connect Indian-Americans to their culture while simultaneously offering the Indian experience to attendees from all over the Mid-South, regardless of background. According to its website, India Fest “promotes awareness and appreciation of the vibrant art, culture, music, cuisine, and heritage of India among people of greater Memphis,” and people of all ages and ethnicities are encouraged to visit.
India Fest events and scheduling
The Memphis India Festival is composed of five different parts:
- The Bazaar Section: At the bazaar, visitors will be able to experience Indian food, music, fashion, art, language and literature through different kiosks selling their wares.
- The Talent Show: Local talent from the Mid-South will compete in the India Fest talent festival, showcasing Indian dance and music.
- The Food Demo: Food enthusiasts in attendance will be able to enjoy various Indian culinary dishes, while learning more about the flavors that make this food come alive.
- The Kids’ Corner: Children attending India Fest will have the chance to participate in an Indian history story-telling event, dance lessons, a map-hunting game and as other interactive learning activities.
- The Evening Professional Performance: Once the sun goes down,
- attendees can enjoy a sit-down program featuring professional performers invited all the way from India.
Are you interested in attending the Memphis India Fest? India Fest will be hosted at Agricenter International on Nov. 3, with events from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Looking for more stories on what makes Memphis great?
Follow our Instagram page below!
View this post on Instagram