Memphis soul is in the heart of the ones who add to its vibration—the originators, taste-makers, musicians and entrepreneurs. Because of its boom in entrepreneurship over the last decade, Memphis has been named the No. 1 city in the nation for minority-owned businesses by “Fast Company” magazine. Memphis also has a Maker Movement underway, serving up hand-crafted gifts and goods every day.
Creating a new business in Memphis is a process, but when you have access to a list of resources to grow, market and fund your business, you can accomplish your goals. Partnered with the right know-how and diligence, you can create and run a successful business of your own.
How to start a business in Memphis
No conversation about startups in Memphis would be complete without mention of Start Co. The program is a unique opportunity to be paired with mentors, create a solid business structure and plan for your Memphis business, equip you with the tools and education you need in all areas, network with other startup founders and even potentially pitch your business for funding at investor events!
Start Co. focuses on a solid plan of start-to-finish business tools that a startup will need to achieve its goals and have a fair opportunity to compete in the tech business world. The company is always looking for women-owned and -run tech startups with at least one female on the executive team. So, just how does its curriculum work, exactly? Start Co. offers startups help in the following areas:
- Product development
- Market research, quality control and user testing
- Pitching resources and tips
- Personal and business development
- Access to financing suited toward gender diverse startup businesses
- Networking with business leaders and mentors
- Legal resources
- 24/7 workspace access to the Start Co. Lab, a modern office space
- Key partnerships with companies that can serve as mentors, offer customer market research and user testing and provide business resources
- Possible opportunities to pitch your business for funding at Memphis and Silicon Valley investor events
Common reasons that the owners of small businesses and startups fail in their first four years include feeling overwhelmed with their business, getting stumped on coming up with new and innovative ideas, not having access to capital and funding, and a lack of resources and education overall. Start Co. provides Memphis businesses the opportunity to access resources that otherwise may take years to accumulate.
Looking for more stories on what makes Memphis great?
Follow our Instagram page below!
View this post on Instagram